First Published: 2017-10-04

UN to blacklist Saudi-led coalition for Yemen child deaths
Saudi-led coalition to return to annual blacklist of child rights’ violators after being removed last year following Saudi threats to cut humanitarian aid to institution.
Middle East Online

683 child deaths attributed to coalition

NEW YORK CITY - The United Nations has moved to put the Saudi-led coalition on its annual blacklist of child rights' violators for the killing and maiming of children in Yemen, according to a draft report on Wednesday.

After a similar move infuriated Saudi Arabia last year, the latest draft report placed the coalition on a separate section of the list which recognized that measures had been taken to improve the protection of children.

"In Yemen, the coalition's actions objectively led to the listing for the killing and maiming of children, with 683 child casualties attributed to this party, and, as a result of being responsible for 38 verified incidents, for attacks on schools and hospitals during 2016," said the draft report.

Yemen's government forces, pro-government militias, the Huthi rebels and Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) were also blacklisted as parties to the conflict but they have failed to take measures to protect children, the draft said.

Saudi Arabia leads an Arab military coalition that intervened in Yemen in 2015 to support the government of President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi after Iran-backed Huthi rebels forced him into exile.

The United Nations has listed Yemen as the world's number one humanitarian crisis, with seven million Yemenis on the brink of famine and cholera causing more than 2,000 deaths.

Former UN chief Ban Ki-moon last year was forced into an embarrassing climbdown and removed the coalition from the list after Saudi Arabia threatened to cut off funding to UN humanitarian programs.

Ban had publicly complained that it was unacceptable for countries to "exert undue pressure" on the United Nations to avoid scrutiny of its actions.

Saudi Arabia denied that it had pressured Ban and has insisted that the coalition is respecting its obligations under international humanitarian law.

- Children dying from coalition bombs -

Another draft of the full report circulated in August said that 51 percent of the 683 child casualties in 2016 were attributed to the coalition.

Nearly three-quarters of the 38 verified attacks on schools and hospitals in 2016 were carried out by air by the coalition, it said.

Human rights groups had pushed UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres to return the coalition to the blacklist and send a strong message about the horrific toll that the war has taken on children.

The final report and the list contained in an annex is expected to go to the Security Council later this month and the top UN body will hold a debate on children and armed conflict on October 31.

Watchlist on Children in Armed Conflict, which groups leading human rights organizations, said it hopes that the draft listing will make it into the final report.

"Watchlist has documented many instances of the coalition's attacks in Yemen, and naming the coalition as responsible in the secretary-general's annual report is hopefully the first step in holding it accountable and stopping these atrocities," said Eva Smets, executive director of Watchlist.

The draft report indicates that Guterres "believes the Saudi-led coalition has taken positive measures, but we continue to receive disturbing reports of children dying from preventable diseases and the coalition's bombs," she added.

To avoid a repeat of last year's clash, Guterres this year presented the list in advance to Saudi Arabia and Yemen, and discussed measures that could be taken to be taken off the list, a UN diplomat said.

 

Abadi, Sadr meet in Jordan

Opposition calls on Iraqi Kurd leader to step down

UN ends Libya talks with no progress made

Tillerson pushes to undercut Iran at landmark Saudi, Iraq meeting

Greening the Camps brings food and hope to refugees

Israel police arrest 15 over anti Jewish-Arab dating campaign

No clear US strategy in Syria after Raqqa liberation

Gulf share values plummet

US-backed forces capture key Syria oil field

More than half of Austrians vote for anti-immigration party

Washington sees potential Hezbollah threat in the US

Cairo killing sparks security concerns among Copts

Iraq PM arrives in Saudi to upgrade ties

35 Egyptian police killed in Islamist ambush

Morocco recalls Algeria envoy over 'hashish money' jibe

Ceremony marks 75 years since WWII Battle of El Alamein

Somalia attack death toll rises to 358

Long road ahead for families of jailed Morocco protesters

How Raqa recapture affects complex Syrian war

Israel hits Syrian artillery after Golan fire

Germany advances Israel submarine deal after corruption holdup

Bashir Gemayel's killer convicted, 35 years later

SDF hails 'historic victory' against IS in Raqa

Hamas delegation visits Iran

Turkish court orders release of teacher on hunger strike

Yemen rebel youth minister urges children to join war

Iran's Guards show no intention of curbing activities in Mideast

EU will cut some money for Turkey as ties sour

Iraqi workers return to oil fields retaken from Kurds

Kurdish disarray shows resurgence of Iraq's army

Iranian military chief visits frontline near Syria's Aleppo

Iraq army takes last Kurd-held area of Kirkuk province

Ancient Turkish town set to vanish forever under floodwaters

Turkey issues arrest warrants for 110 people over Gulen links

Lebanon approves first budget since 2005

Tillerson does not expect Gulf crisis to be resolved soon

Moscow seeks to boost its influence in Kurdistan through oil

Hamas calls US unity comments ‘blatant interference’

OPEC chief pleased with oil market rebalancing

Turkish police detain leading civil society figure

G7, tech giants meet to tackle terror online

Iraq’s Kurdish regional government open to Baghdad talks

Tensions flare among Yemen's rebels

Baghdad court issues arrest warrant for Iraqi Kurd VP

Erdogan, Nigerian counterpart to ramp up cooperation