First Published: 2005-06-10

 
Jumblatt: Syrian agents still in Lebanon
 

Lebanese Druze leader believes entire opposition is being targeted, more assassinations likely.

 

Middle East Online

By Sophie Claudet - BEIRUT

Jumblatt repeating accusation

Syrian intelligence agents remain in Lebanon despite assurances they have left and more political murders can be expected, a key opposition figure has said in a claim echoed by a senior US official quoted in The New York Times.

"I believe the entire opposition is being targeted," said Druze leader Walid Jumblatt in a television interview late Thursday night, repeating an accusation he has often made since the murder in February of former premier Rafiq Hariri.

"The assassinations will continue with or without the knowledge of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.”

Jumblatt was speaking only a week after the latest political killing - the death of prominent anti-Syrian journalist Samir Kassir.

Lebanon's pro-Syrian regime and its political masters in Damascus have denied widespread allegations that they were behind the two killings, as well as a series of bombings since Hariri's death that have killed three others.

Under heightened Western and Lebanese popular pressure after the shock murder of Hariri, Syria pulled its troops and security agents out of Lebanon in late April, after 29 years.

In its Friday edition, The New York Times said Washington has "credible information" that Syrian operatives plan to try to assassinate senior Lebanese politicians and that Syrian military intelligence forces are returning to Lebanon to create "an environment of intimidation."

The paper cited a senior official, speaking on condition of anonymity, who said there was a "Syrian hit list."

The report comes just ahead of Sunday's third round of a four-stage parliamentary election in Lebanon that many accuse Syria of trying to destabilize.

The official said the information had come from "a variety of Lebanese sources" and that "we assess it as credible."

"This is a moment when many politicians are facing overt Syrian intimidation in the middle of the election period," said the official. "When Lebanese sources tell us that they are hearing that the Kassir killing will be followed by others, we take it seriously."

In his remarks Thursday night, Jumblatt accused the former Syrian military intelligence chief in Lebanon, General Rustom Ghazaleh, of meddling in the election through his agents.

"Rustom Ghazaleh, whom the Syrian leadership should have thrown in jail, has blocked an electoral alliance between (Christian) MP Elie Skaff and the Hariri group," a reference to the late premier's son and political successor, Saad.

Contacted by AFP, Skaff denied he met with Ghazaleh since Syria's departure from Lebanon.

But several people said they had seen Syrian officers in the Bekaa Valley and northern Lebanon "talking local mayors into voting and pushing the population to vote for candidates close to Damascus," one of them said.

The US official said governments in the Middle East and Europe had been warned about the threat facing Lebanese figures, adding: "we thought it would be useful to make this public as a deterrent to the Syrians."

He said the administration of US President George W. Bush, which is particularly at odds with Damascus over its alleged attempt to obtain weapons of mass destruction and support of insurgents in Iraq, would not ignore the threat.

But he refused to elaborate on the kind of actions that might be taken.

US intelligence and State Department officials said they could not immediately assert the report's reliability.

UN Secretary General Kofi Annan raised the possibility Thursday that Syrian intelligence may not have completely withdrawn from Lebanon.

"We are now receiving reports that there may be elements that are still there, and we are considering the possible return of the verification team to ascertain what is going on," he said.

A UN verification mission to Lebanon had reported on May 23 that Syria had "fully" withdrawn troops from its neighbor, in compliance with UN Security Council Resolution 1559, co-sponsored in September by the United States and France.

 

13 dead, 100 injured in two Spanish seaside city attacks

Israel freezes implementation of settlement law

Erdogan meddles in German politics

Saudi Arabia installing cranes at Yemen ports

Civilians stay on frontlines despite dangers in Raqa

Low-cost attacks a new reality for Europeans

Forces of Libya's Haftar say commander wanted by ICC in detention

Yemen rebels urged to free political commentator

Iranian footballer breaks silence over ban for playing Israelis

IS fighters almost encircled in Syrian desert

For Israel, White House ties trump neo-Nazis and antisemitism

Iran reform leader ends hunger strike

Van ploughs through pedestrians in Barcelona terror attack

13 killed in Barcelona van attack

Iraq acknowledges abuses in Mosul campaign

Netanyahu under fire for response to US neo-Nazism

Israel to free high-profile suspects in money laundering probe

Spanish police shut down jet-ski migrant smugglers

Syrian actress, activist Fadwa Suleiman dies in Paris

Israeli court extends detention for Islamic cleric over ‘incitement’

UAE to provide $15 million a month to Gaza

Sudan's Bashir 'satisfied' with Nile dam project

US-backed rebels say American presence in Syria to last ‘decades’

Tunisian clerics oppose equal inheritance rights for women

Israel strikes almost 100 Hezbollah arms convoys in 5 years

UN hopes for eighth round of Syria talks before year’s end

LONG READ: How Syria continues to evade chemical weapons justice

Civilians killed in US-led raids on Raqa

Qatari pilgrims begin flooding into Saudi by land

Turkey arrests 9 more journalists for alleged ‘Gulen links’

Iran’s Karroubi on hunger strike over 6-year house arrest

Saudi Arabia to restart work on Grand Mosque expansion

Algeria reshuffles cabinet, nominates three new ministers

Syria rebels lose heavyweight faction

ICC orders Mali ex-jihadist pay 2.7 m euros for Timbuktu destruction

Libya seeks to ‘organise’ NGOs carrying migrant rescue Ops

More than one million South Sudan refugees in Uganda

Beirut, Damascus pledge to boost economic ties

Two killed on Gaza-Egypt border

Qataris to do hajj on Saudi king expenses

Fire breaks out at UNESCO heritage site in Saudi Arabia

Iran military chief in Turkey for talks on Syrian war

Saudi Electricity announces $1.75b in international loans

Israel to strip Jazeera journalist of press credentials

Bahrain state media accuses Qatar of trying to topple regime