First Published: 2006-11-12

US vetoes UN draft condemning Israel's Gaza onslaught

After US veto, draft resolution might be taken to unbinding 192-member General Assembly.


Middle East Online

By Gerard Aziakou - UNITED NATIONS

No US democracy calls when it comes to Security Council voting

The United States Saturday vetoed an Arab-sponsored draft resolution in the UN Security Council that would have condemned Israel's deadly attack in the Gaza Strip, calling the text "unbalanced" and "biased."

US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said in a statement the United States was "compelled to vote against" the draft resolution because "we do not believe (it) was designed to contribute to the cause of peace."

"The resolution would have used the tragic incident in Beit Hanoun to advance a one-sided political agenda," she said, referring to what Israel called an accidental shelling on November 8 that killed 19 Palestinian civilians, mostly women and children, in the Gaza town of Beit Hanun.

"The resolution included inflammatory and unnecessary language that would aggravate the situation in Gaza ... (and) failed to include any reference to terrorism or to condemn Hamas for its threats to broaden the attacks against Israel and the United States," Rice added.

As one of the council's five permanent members along with Britain, China, France and Russia, the United States has veto power which it has now used 82 times, often to shield Israel from censure.

Its previous use of the veto was in July to block a Qatari-sponsored draft resolution that would have condemned Israel's military onslaught in Gaza as "disproportionate force" and would have demanded a halt to Israeli operations in the territory.

Ten of the council's 15 members voted in favor the amended text, introduced by Qatar on behalf of Arab member states, and four -- Britain, Denmark, Japan and Slovakia -- abstained.

Israel immediately hailed the US veto as "very satisfactory" while the Palestinians said it would encourage further Israeli attacks on civilians.

"The American veto is very satisfactory. The draft resolution did not stipulate that what happened at Beit Hanun was a tragic error," Israeli government spokesman Avi Pazner said.

But Nabil Abu Rudeina, a spokesman for Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas swiftly condemned the veto, saying: "We feel it will encourage Israel to continue its escalation against the Palestinian people."

Explaining her decision to abstain, Britain's deputy UN Ambassador Karen Pierce said: "We were not able to conclude that the draft resolution was sufficiently balanced nor reflected the complexity of the current situation."

But France's UN Ambassador Jean-Marc de La Sabliere disagreed.

"I think the text was a balanced one and (its) adoption would have sent the right signal to both parties that the Security Council is really concerned about what is happening in Gaza, really concerned about the deaths of civilians and the protection of civilians," the French envoy said.

Palestinian UN observer Ryad Mansour also voiced disappointment and accused the council of "shirking its responsibility".

"Palestine is disappointed again," he said and warned that the US veto would push extremists on both sides of the Israeli-Palestinian divide "to take matters into their own hands".

The council vote had been delayed by 24 hours as the sponsors continued efforts to try to make the text more palatable to the US.

Diplomats said Arab countries would now most likely take their case to the 192-member General Assembly, where their draft would get a more sympathetic hearing.

Mansour said Arab foreign ministers, due to hold a special meeting in Cairo Sunday on the Gaza violence, would decide whether to turn to the General Assembly for support.

The Qatari draft would have condemned Israel's military operations in Gaza, particularly the Beit Hanun incident, along with "the firing of rockets from Gaza into Israel".

It would have called on Israel "to immediately cease its military operations that endanger the Palestinian civilian population in the Occupied Palestinian territory, including East Jerusalem, and to immediately withdraw its forces from within the Gaza Strip to positions prior to June 28, 2006."

It would have urged the international community, including the diplomatic Quartet -- the United States, Russia, the United Nations and the European Union -- "to stabilize the situation and restart the peace process, including through the possible establishment of an international mechanism for protection of the civilian populations."

It also would have directed the UN secretary general to set up a fact-finding mission on the Beit Hanun attack within 30 days.

Wednesday's Israeli strike in Gaza has received worldwide condemnation and led to calls for an immediate halt by the Jewish state of its Gaza offensive, which has left more than 300 Palestinians dead since late June when an Israeli soldier was seized by Palestinian militants fighting to liberate their occupied country.

Meanwhile, Arab League Secretary General Amr Mussa on Sunday slammed the "incomprehensible" US veto of a United Nations resolution condemning Israel's devastating raid in the Gaza Strip.

"This sends a message that causes us great sorrow and anger. The message was well received, and it tells us that the peace process is completely dead," Mussa told reporters.

"This veto is incomprehensible and will only fan the flames of anger gripping the Middle East," Mussa said as Arab foreign ministers kicked off an emergency meeting to discuss the situation in the Palestinian territories.


Rebels evacuate Syria's Eastern Ghouta

Sarkozy says life ‘living hell’ since corruption allegations

Turkey’s largest media group to be sold to Erdogan ally

Hezbollah leader says debt threatens Lebanon disaster

Exiled Syrian doctors treat refugees in Turkey

Saudi, US must pursue 'urgent efforts' for Yemen peace: Mattis

US, Jordan launch new counterterrorism training centre

Two Hamas security force members killed in raid on bomb suspect

Turkey gives watchdog power to block internet broadcasts

EU leaders to condemn Turkey’s ‘illegal’ actions in Mediterranean

Ahed Tamimi reaches plea deal for eight months in jail

UN launching final push to salvage Libya political agreement

Conditions for displaced from Syria's Ghouta 'tragic': UN

Sisi urges Egyptians to vote, denies excluding rivals

Rights Watch says Libya not ready for elections

Saudis revamp school curriculum to combat Muslim Brotherhood

American mother trapped in Syria’s Ghouta calls out Trump

Syria workers say French firm abandoned them to jihadists

Grim Nowruz for Kurds fleeing Afrin

Sarkozy back in custody for second day of questioning

'Saudization' taking its toll on salesmen

Syrian rebels reach evacuation deal in Eastern Ghouta town

Israel confirms it hit suspected Syrian nuclear reactor in 2007

UN says Turkey security measures 'curtail human rights'

Netanyahu says African migrants threaten Jewish majority

US Senate votes on involvement in Yemen war as Saudi prince visits

What a ‘limited strike’ against Syria’s Assad might mean

Erdogan tells US to stop ‘deceiving’, start helping on Syria

IS controls Damascus district in surprise attack

French ex-president held over Libya financing allegations

NGO says Israeli army violating Palestinian minors’ rights

Human rights chief slams Security Council for inaction on Syria

US warns Turkey over civilians caught in Syria assault

Saudi crown prince keen to cement ties with US

Abbas calls US ambassador to Israel 'son of a dog'

Erdogan vows to expand Syria op to other Kurdish-held areas

Kurdish envoy accuses foreign powers of ignoring Turkish war crimes

Morocco authorities vow to close Jerada's abandoned mines

Israeli soldier sees manslaughter sentence slashed

Turkey insists no plans to remain in Afrin

Cairo voters show unwavering support for native son Sisi

Forum in Jordan explores new teaching techniques

Gaza Strip woes receive renewed attention but no fix is expected

Kurds, Syrian opposition condemn Afrin looting

36 jihadists killed in Egypt’s Sinai