First Published: 2009-12-27

 
Gaza marks year since start of deadly Israeli war
 

Palestinians in demolished Gaza continue to suffer as Israel keeps tight blockade despite ceasefire.

 

Middle East Online

'Slow or quick death?' The only options Israel left to Palestinians

GAZA CITY - The Israeli-besieged Palestinian Gaza Strip on Sunday marked one year since the start of the deadliest-ever offensive waged by Israel on the isolated enclave, swathes of which still remain in ruins.

Sirens were to wail throughout the Palestinian territory at 11:20 am (0920 GMT), when the first bombs of Israel's "Operation Cast Lead" slammed into the coastal strip.

Several demonstrations were to be held during the day and democratically-elected Hamas prime minister Ismail Haniya was to make a television address in the evening, with Hamas planning to stage events for 22 days, the length of the war.

"The goal of these events is that this war and its massacres, which had no precedent, should remain before the eyes of the world," said Ihab al-Ghussein, a spokesman for the Hamas interior ministry.

"This is so that the leaders of this Zionist war will be judged," he added.

On Saturday, December 27, 2008, Israeli warplanes launched simultaneous strikes on numerous targets throughout the territory of 1.5 million people, raids that killed at least 225 people in what was one of the bloodiest single days in the decades-long Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

The war ended 22 days later with mutual ceasefires by Israel and Hamas, with some 1,400 Palestinians (mainly civilians) and 13 Israelis left dead and entire neighbourhoods of Gaza flattened in the onslaught.

The war ushered in the calmest period in years along the borders of Gaza as the ceasefires have held despite occasional violations by both sides.

But Israel has come under intense criticism from the international community and human rights groups who have accused it of disproportionate force during the operation, including the use of white phosphorous in residential areas.

A UN Human Rights Council-commissioned report released several months ago accused both Israel and Palestinian resistance fighters of committing war crimes and possible crimes against humanity during the offensive.

Israel has also faced withering criticism over a blockade that it on Gaza.

The blockade, under which only basic humanitarian supplies are allowed into the impoverished territory where the vast majority of people depend on foreign aid, has been repeatedly slammed by rights groups as collective punishment.

"The only things getting built in Gaza are desperation and despair," the New York-based Human Rights Watch said in a statement on the eve of the war.

The group also accused both Israel and Hamas of failing to take punitive action against members of their own forces accused of serious violations during the fighting.

Some 6,400 homes were severely damaged or destroyed during the war, according to UN figures. Most of the tens of thousands of people who lost homes now share crowded apartments with relatives or huddle under tents supplied by aid groups.

Last week 16 rights groups last week said the international community had "betrayed" the people of Gaza by failing to end the sanctions, which have kept out virtually all building materials and severely hampered reconstruction.

Meanwhile analysts warn that the continuation of the Israeli siege of Gaza, which is still considered under illegal Israeli occupation, would inevitably lead to a new round of violence.

 

Qataris to do hajj on Saudi king expenses

Veteran crisis manager Ouyahia recalled as Algeria PM

Saudi Arabia, Iraq draw closer with wary eye on Iran

Iran’s Karroubi on hunger strike over 6-year house arrest

Civilians stay on frontlines despite dangers in Raqa

Iraq acknowledges abuses in Mosul campaign

Netanyahu under fire for response to US neo-Nazism

Israel to free high-profile suspects in money laundering probe

Spanish police shut down jet-ski migrant smugglers

Syrian actress, activist Fadwa Suleiman dies in Paris

Israeli court extends detention for Islamic cleric over ‘incitement’

UAE to provide $15 million a month to Gaza

Sudan's Bashir 'satisfied' with Nile dam project

US-backed rebels say American presence in Syria to last ‘decades’

Tunisian clerics oppose equal inheritance rights for women

Israel strikes almost 100 Hezbollah arms convoys in 5 years

UN hopes for eighth round of Syria talks before year’s end

LONG READ: How Syria continues to evade chemical weapons justice

Civilians killed in US-led raids on Raqa

Qatari pilgrims begin flooding into Saudi by land

Turkey arrests 9 more journalists for alleged ‘Gulen links’

Saudi Arabia to restart work on Grand Mosque expansion

Algeria reshuffles cabinet, nominates three new ministers

Syria rebels lose heavyweight faction

ICC orders Mali ex-jihadist pay 2.7 m euros for Timbuktu destruction

Libya seeks to ‘organise’ NGOs carrying migrant rescue Ops

More than one million South Sudan refugees in Uganda

Beirut, Damascus pledge to boost economic ties

Two killed on Gaza-Egypt border

Fire breaks out at UNESCO heritage site in Saudi Arabia

Iran military chief in Turkey for talks on Syrian war

Saudi Electricity announces $1.75b in international loans

Israel to strip Jazeera journalist of press credentials

Bahrain state media accuses Qatar of trying to topple regime

Iran's Khamenei blasts US over Charlottesville

Libyan forces snub ICC over warrant for commander

Iran’s detained opposition leader starts hunger strike

Arab fighters struggle to make impact in battle for Raqa

IS suicide bombers kill seven Iraqi security personnel

Lebanon repeals 'marry your rapist' law

Qatar’s sovereign fund plans new investments despite sanctions

Turkey asks Germany to investigate 'top coup fugitive' sightings

Iran laments ‘hypocritical’ US religious freedom report

No single pattern in radicalisation of foreign fighters, says Tunisian study

Turkey tells Iraqi Kurds that referendum risks ‘civil war’