TEHRAN - Tehran's public prosecutor has announced the arrest of "several people" over the death in detention of blogger Sattar Beheshti, the ISNA news agency reported on Tuesday.
"Yesterday (Monday), several people were arrested," Abbas Jafarabadi said, without elaborating.
"When we learned about (Beheshti's) death, we began an inquiry... We hope to make the findings public within the next 10 days," he added.
The judiciary's High Council of Human Rights said on Sunday that "all aspects of the case have been accurately investigated following a special order by judiciary chief Ayatollah Sadeq Larijani."
Opposition activists say blogger Sattar Beheshti, who died on November 3 aged 35, was tortured to death in prison for criticising Iran's regime on the Internet.
The blogger's fate provoked international outcry, and human rights watchdog Amnesty International said he may have died under torture.
Judiciary officials said that Beheshti was detained in Evin prison, but opposition groups said he had been kept at the notorious Kahrizak detention centre since his arrest at the end of October.
The Kahrizak detention centre, where Beheshti was reportedly killed, was temporarily shut down by Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei in July 2009 after three inmates died following mistreatment by guards.
Hundreds of opposition figures -- politicians, journalists, bloggers, lawyers, rights activities, union figures and media workers -- are in Iranian prisons, according to international human rights groups.