First Published: 2016-10-21

Arab coalition accuses Yemen rebels of breaching truce
At least 11 people killed in sporadic clashes between rebels, pro-government forces, despite all sides insisting they will pause fighting.
Middle East Online

'43 rebel violations'

RIYADH - The Saudi-led coalition accused Yemeni rebels of repeatedly breaching a ceasefire Thursday, the first day of a truce under global pressure to end a war which has killed thousands.

At least 11 people were killed in sporadic clashes between rebels and pro-government forces, despite all sides insisting they will pause the fighting.

The truce, for an initial period of three days, took effect just before midnight on Wednesday to allow sorely needed aid deliveries in Yemen where the conflict has also left millions homeless and hungry.

The Saudi-led Arab coalition intervened in March 2015 to support the government of President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi after Huthi rebels overran much of the impoverished country on the southern tip of the Arabian Peninsula.

Five previous truce attempts failed but cautious optimism preceded the current pause after intensified international pressure following an escalation of combat.

But Major General Ahmed Assiri, the coalition spokesman, said, "there is no ceasefire at all" because of repeated rebel breaches.

"This is the same situation as the previous time when we called for a ceasefire," Assiri said.

And Saudi Arabia's foreign minister told reporters in Washington that rebels were stepping up their attacks.

"As of this morning Washington time there had been more than 150 violations by the Huthi-Saleh side," Adel al-Jubeir said, referring to the rebels and forces loyal to former president Ali Abdullah Saleh.

Saudi Arabia and Washington accuse Iran of arming the Shiite Huthi insurgents, but Tehran denies the charges.

The coalition and Hadi both vowed to abide by the ceasefire despite alleged violations by the rebels.

Pro-government forces declared "respect for the truce" but reserved the right to respond to infractions.

The rebels said they would respect the ceasefire as long as "the enemy" abides by it, but urged their fighters to be ready to retaliate against "all aggression".

- Thousands have died -

The coalition says it will continue an air and maritime embargo, to prevent weapons shipments to the rebels, and maintains airborne reconnaissance.

At dawn, coalition aircraft flew twice over the rebel-held capital Sanaa without conducting raids, according to residents, who said they have had enough of failed ceasefires.

"They're mocking us with a three-day truce," said Ali al-Doush, a 32-year-old civil servant who has not been paid for three months.

"We want an end to the war."

Nearly 6,900 people have been killed, more than half of them civilians, while another three million are displaced and millions more need food aid.

The deaths Thursday included three civilians killed in a coalition air raid on Saada province, a historic Huthi stronghold, rebel-controlled media said.

Assiri denied that any air strikes took place over Yemen, although coalition warplanes carried out surveillance.

He said a Patriot missile shot down a missile fired by rebels in Marib, east of the capital Sanaa.

A man and his daughter were wounded in a cross-border attack from Yemen in the kingdom's Jazan region, Saudi civil defence authorities said.

Assiri said coalition artillery and aircraft retaliated.

- '43 rebel violations' -

"We will respond to each violation. We will be reactive," he said.

"It's so easy. If they stop, we will not fire a bullet."

Official Saudi media said there were more than 43 rebel violations along the border.

Military sources and residents said there had also been fighting around the besieged third city Taez, and pro-Hadi positions came under fire in Sarwah, east of Sanaa.

The last ceasefire attempt began in April and collapsed as UN-brokered peace talks broke down in August.

Fighting then escalated, until an October 8 coalition air strike which the UN said killed more than 140 people and wounded at least 525 at a funeral in Sanaa.

On Thursday a panel of UN experts concluded the strike was in violation of international humanitarian law, accusing the coalition of failing to take "effective and adequate precautionary measures to minimise civilian casualties".

In the wake of the incident the United States announced an "immediate review" of its intelligence and refuelling assistance to the coalition, whose investigative team said the funeral was "wrongly targeted".

The US Navy also for the first time struck rebels directly earlier this month, hitting radar sites which Washington said were involved in missile launches against a US warship and other vessels.

The ceasefire does not apply to jihadists who have exploited the conflict to gain ground in the south.

Suspected Al-Qaeda militants on Thursday killed four soldiers at a checkpoint in the southern province of Abyan, a security official said. One attacker was killed and another wounded.

 

10 killed in Toronto “deliberate” van attack

Yemen Huthi political leader killed in coalition raid

Rouhani warns Trump against betraying nuclear deal

Saudi king to launch 'entertainment city'

Can Arab satellite TV catch up with social media?

Nine people killed in Toronto van attack

Syria security chief refuses Lebanon court appearance

Air raid kills dozens at Yemen wedding

Algeria draws Europe’s ire by cutting imports, boosting trade with China

Russia says no decision yet on delivery of S-300 missiles to Syria

French MPs adopt controversial immigration bill

Qatar Airways ‘robust’ despite large losses

IS threatens to attack Iraqi polling station

Jordan sounds the alarm over rising online crimes

Yemen forces clash with jihadists in Taez

Paris attacks suspect gets 20 years over Brussels shootout

Jailed Egyptian photographer wins UN press freedom prize

14 Saddam-era officials still jailed in Iraq

Gaza death toll rises to 40 as Palestinian dies of wounds

HRW says African migrants face rape, torture in Yemen

Four British pilgrims killed in Saudi road crash

HRW warns Egypt fight against IS threatens humanitarian crisis

Iran, Israel trade blame for surge in hostilities over Syria

Iran vows to resume enrichment if US quits nuclear deal

UAE accuses Qatari jets of ‘chasing’ passenger flight

Israel rubbishes claims Mossad behind Malaysia assassination

Syrian refugees are not going home anytime soon

Resumption of direct flights from Moscow brings hope to Egypt’s tourism sector

Saudi finalises drone regulation after security alarm

Will Lebanon have more women MPs after May 6 poll?

Saudi shoots down ‘toy drone’

Mass grave discovered under Raqa football pitch

UN Security Council meets over Syria in Sweden

Turkish government rejects criticism of election campaign

Condemnation after Gaza teenager killed by Israeli soldiers

Syrian rebels agree to leave new area outside Damascus

Rouhani slams officials' 'vow of silence' in face of protests

Family accuses Israel of killing Palestinian in Malaysia

Natalie Portman says backed out of Israel prize over Netanyahu

Morocco, EU start talks on new fisheries deal

FIFA to return to Morocco to check hotels, stadiums

Turkey in shock after violent Istanbul derby

Iraq pays first war reparations to Kuwait since 2014

Fiery kites adopted as new tactic by Gaza protesters

Romanian president slams plan to move Israel embassy