First Published: 2017-08-10

Turkey orders crackdown on football violence
Stricter security measures to be imposed following violent end to Super Cup tie last week with fans engaging in on-field brawl in latest embarrassment for Turkish football.
Middle East Online

Authorities have for years attempted to clamp down on endemic violence at matches

ISTANBUL - Turkish authorities on Thursday ordered sharper security measures at big games and punished two top-flight sides after last weekend's Super Cup was marred by a pitch invasion and ugly fighting between fans.

Konyaspor beat Besiktas 2-1 on Sunday to win the Super Cup, the annual curtain-raiser to the season that brings together the winners of last season's Turkish Cup and Super Lig.

But the match will be remembered more for the pitch invasion by thousands of fans that followed the game, with rival fans exchanging punches and flinging chairs across the turf.

A knife was also thrown onto the pitch just over 10 minutes before the final whistle, in scenes reminiscent of the worst Turkish crowd violence of the 1980s and 90s.

The Turkish Football Federation (TFF) said its disciplinary committee had ordered Konyaspor to hold five home games behind closed doors as a punishment for their fans' role in the pitch invasion.

Besiktas were ordered to hold one match behind closed doors and their chairman Fikret Orman deprived of his rights under TFF rules for 45 days.

Television pictures showed security forces initially overwhelmed as the fans streamed onto the pitch.

The incident -- at the neutral venue of Samsun on the Black Sea -- was a huge embarrassment for the Turkish football authorities, who have in recent years sought to clamp down on once endemic crowd violence.

Sports Minister Osman Askin Bak said after a special meeting with Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu and Justice Minister Abdulhamit Gul that in future only e-tickets would be sold for cup finals.

Also matches would be subjected to a greater security analysis ahead of time, with the authorities giving them an 'A' 'B' or 'C' risk assessment level, he said.

Soylu said particular attention would be put on provocations made on social media while top local officials would also not attend matches dressed in club regalia.

"Our task is to ensure that the match passes in a gentlemanly fashion and everyone can enjoy it from the moment it starts," said Soylu.

"We remember the matches we went to in our childhood. The best gift we can pass on to our children is to watch games with this pleasure."

Gul said arrest warrants had been issued for four individuals over the fighting and expressed confidence they would shortly appear in court.

Turkey has in the last years taken major measures aimed at ending violence at football matches, to improve the image of the Turkish game abroad and encourage more people to attend matches.

The most notable innovation has been the introduction of a compulsory ID card system known as Passolig, which all fans must obtain in order to attend league matches.

 

Turkey says not reassured by US comments on border force

Trump dashes Netanyahu’s hope to move US embassy to Jerusalem

IS poses threat to Iraq one month after 'liberation'

Britain to put women at heart of peace work in Iraq, Nigeria, South Sudan

Bitcoin appeal beats ban and warnings in Jordan

UN chief wants to revive Syria gas attack probe

US has no intention to build border force in Syria

Lebanese intelligence service may be spying using smartphones worldwide

Egypt's Sisi sacks intelligence chief

Cyprus denies bail for Israeli organ trafficker

Rising Yemen currency sparks hopes of relief

Turkish ministries to investigate underage pregnancy cover-up

Iraq PM launches online appeal for election allies

Iran central bank sees claim for billions from German stock market blocked

Iraq signs deal with BP to develop Kirkuk oil fields

Israeli occupation forces raid Jenin, kill Palestinian

HRW chief says 'Nobody should be forcibly returned to Libya'

Seven years since ousting dictator, Tunisians still protest

Iran says Trump jeopardising Airbus deals

China says Iranian oil tanker wreck located

Sudan arrests communist leader after protests

Syrian opposition joins condemnation of US 'border force'

Israeli judge detains teen until trial for viral ‘slap video’

Arab league slams US freeze of Palestinian funding

Dubai billionaire to sell 15 percent Damac stake

Saudi to give Yemen government $2bn bailout

US withholds $65 million from UN agency for Palestinians

Saudi Arabia intercepts new Yemen rebel missile attack

Syria Kurds vow to cleanse enclave from Turkish 'scourges'

Israeli police find missing Briton’s belongings in desert

Algeria gas plant workers mark five years since jihadist siege

UN says over 5000 children killed or injured in Yemen war

European leaders’ response to Iran protests raises questions

Erdogan to visit Pope Francis next month

Iran slams US-backed 'border security force' in Syria

Palestinian suspension of Israel recognition unlikely for now

Jordan to hike fuel, bread prices

Yemen rebels free journalist detained since August

Palestinian reconciliation brings no change for Gazans

Sudan police use force, tear gas against protesters

Both hardliners and moderates have failed Iranians

Erdogan says Turkish military op in Syria's Afrin to be supported by rebels

UAE to lodge complaint over Qatar flight 'interception'

UN says 22 million Yemenis in need of aid

Minorities in north Iraq look to post-jihadist future