First Palestinian killed by Israeli fire since truce
GAZA CITY, Palestinian Territories - A Palestinian was shot dead by Israeli forces near the Gaza border on Friday, the first casualty since the two sides agreed a truce ending their week-long conflict, Palestinian medical sources said.
An Israeli army spokeswoman could not confirm the incident, saying only that "disturbances" had broken out on the Palestinian side of the Gaza border early on Friday, prompting Israeli soldiers to fire warning shots.
The Palestinian emergency service identified the dead man as Abdelhadi Qdeih Anwar, 21. They said he was killed in the southern Gaza Strip village of Khuzaa. Seven other Palestinians suffered gunshot wounds.
"The occupation forces opened fire on a group of farmers," Gaza emergency service spokesman Adham Abu Selmiya said.
There was no immediate reaction from the Gaza Strip's Hamas leadership, which has previously urged Palestinians to respect the ceasefire terms.
Eight days of Gaza violence, that ended with a truce agreement announced late on Wednesday, claimed the lives of 163 Palestinians and six Israelis.