First Published: 2004-06-30

 
Three killed in deadly clashes in Riyadh
 

Saudi policeman, two suspected Islamic militants killed in heavy armed clashes in Al-Quds area.

 

Middle East Online

Saudi police still hunting Islamist militants

RIYADH - A Saudi policemen and two suspected Islamic militants were killed in a heavy exchange of gunfire Wednesday in Riyadh, a police officer on the scene said, revising an earlier death toll of four.

Another three security men were wounded, one of them seriously, along with two civilians, the policemen said, correcting an earlier statement that two security men were among four people killed.

The clashes, involving five militants, broke out in the capital's eastern Al-Quds area. An AFP correspondent there saw two of the vehicles which had been carrying the militants and which had been destroyed.

Security forces were still pursuing a third vehicle, the policeman said.

Witnesses earlier said they saw four bodies at the site of the clashes while two helicopters hovered overhead.

The clashes broke out after security forces discovered a house used by the five suspects in the capital's King Fahd neighbourhood.

The suspects were followed as they left the house in three cars, the policeman said.

Stocks of arms and ammunition were seen being taken out of the house.

Wednesday's was the first reported incident of unrest in the kingdom since authorities declared an official amnesty for Al-Qaeda supporters on June 23.

Muslim extremists have staged a wave of deadly attacks in the kingdom since May 2003, more recently targeting Westerners.

Al-Qaeda extremists were offered the amnesty if they turned themselves in within a month and were warned that those who did not would face a harsh crackdown.

The amnesty guarantees personal safety and the dropping of all charges for those who repent. It reserves the right of individuals harmed by terror acts to either seek redress through the courts or waive any claims.

The offer of a pardon came close on the heels of the June 18 killing of Al-Qaeda's local chief, Abdul Aziz al-Muqrin, and three of his henchmen after websites posted photos of an American hostage they had beheaded.

One of Saudi Arabia's most wanted men, a renegade former non-commissioned army officer, on Monday became the second Islamic militant to take advantage of the amnesty offer.

Othman Hadi al-Maqbul al-Aamri, 37, gave himself up at his home village of Beni Amr after two years on the run.

An interior ministry list of Saudi's most wanted has seen 11 of the 26 listed militants either killed or jailed in a massive crackdown that has also seen hundreds arrested and an escalation of violence.

Saudi Arabia has sought to assure Westerners that their security was a top priority for officials, who have recently multiplied words of comfort to expatriates fearful the spate of attacks is not over.

"We will assume our responsibilities to ensure their safety and security the same as the security and safety of our citizens," said Foreign Minister Prince Saud al-Faisal after meeting Western ambassadors on Sunday.

He underlined that the Saudi government was prepared to allow foreigners to carry guns.

 

Tillerson pushes to undercut Iran at landmark Saudi, Iraq meeting

US-backed forces capture key Syria oil field

UN ends Libya talks with no progress made

Gulf share values plummet

Greening the Camps brings food and hope to refugees

No clear US strategy in Syria after Raqqa liberation

More than half of Austrians vote for anti-immigration party

Washington sees potential Hezbollah threat in the US

Cairo killing sparks security concerns among Copts

Iraq PM arrives in Saudi to upgrade ties

35 Egyptian police killed in Islamist ambush

Morocco recalls Algeria envoy over 'hashish money' jibe

Ceremony marks 75 years since WWII Battle of El Alamein

Somalia attack death toll rises to 358

Long road ahead for families of jailed Morocco protesters

How Raqa recapture affects complex Syrian war

Israel hits Syrian artillery after Golan fire

Germany advances Israel submarine deal after corruption holdup

Bashir Gemayel's killer convicted, 35 years later

SDF hails 'historic victory' against IS in Raqa

Hamas delegation visits Iran

Turkish court orders release of teacher on hunger strike

Yemen rebel youth minister urges children to join war

Iran's Guards show no intention of curbing activities in Mideast

EU will cut some money for Turkey as ties sour

Iraqi workers return to oil fields retaken from Kurds

Kurdish disarray shows resurgence of Iraq's army

Iranian military chief visits frontline near Syria's Aleppo

Iraq army takes last Kurd-held area of Kirkuk province

Ancient Turkish town set to vanish forever under floodwaters

Turkey issues arrest warrants for 110 people over Gulen links

Lebanon approves first budget since 2005

Tillerson does not expect Gulf crisis to be resolved soon

Moscow seeks to boost its influence in Kurdistan through oil

Hamas calls US unity comments ‘blatant interference’

OPEC chief pleased with oil market rebalancing

Turkish police detain leading civil society figure

G7, tech giants meet to tackle terror online

Iraq’s Kurdish regional government open to Baghdad talks

Tensions flare among Yemen's rebels

Baghdad court issues arrest warrant for Iraqi Kurd VP

Erdogan, Nigerian counterpart to ramp up cooperation

Russian medics operate on Yemen's Saleh despite embargo

Baghdad condemns oil deal between Russia’s Rosneft, Kurds

Power shifts again in Iraq's multi-ethnic Kirkuk