First Published: 2002-11-13

 
Yemen opposition blasts govt over US missile attack
 

Opposition parties says official silence of Yemen confirms authorities' complicity, loss of sovereignty.

 

Middle East Online

They also called on the government to cease all disinformation

SANAA - A group of seven opposition parties in Yemen on Tuesday accused the government of complicity in a US missile attack that killed six alleged members of the al-Qaeda Islamic extremist group on November 3, saying the incident had violated their country's sovereignty.

"The assurances of the US administration that the intelligence services carried out the attack, which killed six Yemenis, and the official silence of the Yemeni government confirms the authorities' complicity and the loss of sovereignty", the parties said in a joint statement.

Signatories included the Al Islah, or reform, party, the Yemeni Socialist Party and the Unionist Party, a nasserite group.

After condemning "terrorism in all forms", the statement said that the Yemeni authorities had a responsibility to "fight terrorism and pursue suspicious elements in order to bring them to trial... without dodging their responsibilities for the benefit of a foreign country", a reference to the United States.

"The Yemeni authorities are asked to shoulder the consequences of the dangerous results which the giving-up of sovereignty will entail", the parties said.

They also called on the government to "cease all disinformation... concerning its military and security cooperation with the United States and to act in a transparent way towards the people".

The Yemeni parliament must "shoulder its responsibility and question the government about its complicity and about the giving-up of sovereignty", they added.

The statement also called on "the Yemeni people to be vigilant in the face of all threats to its sovereignty, independence and security".

On November 6 both the Washington Post and the New York Times said the attack had been carried out with the agreement of the Yemeni government.

The six suspected al-Qaeda operatives were killed by a Hellfire missile launched from a remote-controlled CIA Predator aircraft as they rode in a vehicle 160 kilometers (100 miles) east of the Yemeni capital, Sanaa, reports have said.

Among the dead men was reportedly a senior al-Qaeda leader, named by Washington as Ali Qaed Sunian al-Harithi.

He was suspected of masterminding the October 2000 attack on the US destroyer Cole, which was rammed by an explosives-laden boat that blew a hole in its hull and killed 17 US sailors.

Another of those killed in the November 3 attack was reportedly a US citizen.

 

Iraqi Kurds may postpone referendum in return for concessions

Assad says no Syria ties for countries backing rebels

Rouhani says top priority is protecting nuclear deal from US

Iraqi-Arab Gulf rapprochement makes headway

In Egypt, Syrian refugees recreate Syria

In African tour, Sisi seeks to rebuild ties, address security and water concerns

Syria’s transition scenarios for future rounds of talks

Dubai real estate market sets the pace for renewed growth in the GCC

German-Turkish intellectual held at Ankara’s request

Jordan’s municipal elections marred by deaths, riots

Russia doubts IS claim of stabbing attack in northern city

Turkey slams 'arrogant' German reaction to Erdogan poll call

Police confirm Finland 'terror attack'

Spain hunts suspects as IS claims attack

Aid project helps Syria refugees feel at home in Jordan

Lebanese army launches anti-IS offensive on Syria border

UN demands access to Yemen ports

Low-cost attacks a new reality for Europeans

Forces of Libya's Haftar say commander wanted by ICC in detention

Yemen rebels urged to free political commentator

Iranian footballer breaks silence over ban for playing Israelis

Erdogan meddles in German politics

IS fighters almost encircled in Syrian desert

For Israel, White House ties trump neo-Nazis and antisemitism

Israel freezes implementation of settlement law

Saudi Arabia installing cranes at Yemen ports

13 dead, 100 injured in two Spanish seaside city attacks

Iran reform leader ends hunger strike

Van ploughs through pedestrians in Barcelona terror attack

13 killed in Barcelona van attack

Iraq acknowledges abuses in Mosul campaign

Netanyahu under fire for response to US neo-Nazism

Israel to free high-profile suspects in money laundering probe

Spanish police shut down jet-ski migrant smugglers

Syrian actress, activist Fadwa Suleiman dies in Paris

Israeli court extends detention for Islamic cleric over ‘incitement’

UAE to provide $15 million a month to Gaza

Sudan's Bashir 'satisfied' with Nile dam project

US-backed rebels say American presence in Syria to last ‘decades’

Tunisian clerics oppose equal inheritance rights for women

Israel strikes almost 100 Hezbollah arms convoys in 5 years

UN hopes for eighth round of Syria talks before year’s end

LONG READ: How Syria continues to evade chemical weapons justice

Civilians killed in US-led raids on Raqa

Qatari pilgrims begin flooding into Saudi by land