First Published: 2002-11-20

 
Yemen admits cooperating with US in missile attack
 

Interior Minister says al-Qaeda group killed planned sabotage operations against economically strategic facilities.

 

Middle East Online

A seventh person is being hunted by the authorities

SANAA - Yemen said Tuesday the missile strike that killed six alleged members of the al-Qaeda terror network on November 3 was part of a US-Yemeni "security cooperation" in the war against terrorism.

The statement released by the Yemeni government was the first time that Sanaa spoke openly of such cooperation in the attack, though it did not give details on the level of cooperation.

Interior Minister Rashad al-Alimi said the "hunt for the group which ended in their deaths ... took place in the context of security cooperation and coordination between Yemen and the United States to fight terrorism."

The minister's statement also released the names of the six victims, who were killed in their car which was hit in a US missile attack in the Marib region of eastern Yemen.

One of the six was identified as Qaed Salem Sunian al-Harthi, who Sanaa says is responsible for several "terrorist" attacks in Yemen.

The others were named as Munir Ahmed Abdullah al-Sauda, Saleh Hussein Ali al-Zono, Aoussan Ahmed al-Tirihi, Adel Nasser al-Sauda and Kamal Darwish. All were Yemeni citizens, while Darwish also had US nationality.

Last week, opposition parties in Yemen said the missile strike violated the country's sovereignty and accused the government of complicity.

Alimi said the group killed "planned sabotage operations against oil and economically strategic facilities" in Yemen.

He added that a seventh person, who managed to flee before the missile blew up the car, was being hunted by the authorities.

The six killed in the attack were wanted for alleged involvement in the suicide bombing of the destroyer USS Cole in the southern port of Aden that killed 17 American sailors in October 2000.

Yemeni authorities say they were also implicated in a series of bombings against government and military targets here.

On November 10, US National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice declined to confirm whether President George W. Bush had himself ordered the firing of the missile.

US news reports said the missile fired from a drone came under a presidential order authorizing the CIA to launch clandestine attacks against Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda network.

Al-Qaeda claimed responsibility for the attacks that killed 3,000 people in the United States on September 11, 2001.

 

Syrian rebels agree to leave new area outside Damascus

Family accuses Israel of killing Palestinian in Malaysia

Rouhani slams officials' 'vow of silence' in face of protests

US has 'concerns' about Turkey holding fair vote under state of emergency

Cinema makes return to Saudi Arabia

UN Security Council meets over Syria in Sweden

Turkish government rejects criticism of election campaign

Condemnation after Gaza teenager killed by Israeli soldiers

Natalie Portman says backed out of Israel prize over Netanyahu

Morocco, EU start talks on new fisheries deal

FIFA to return to Morocco to check hotels, stadiums

Turkey in shock after violent Istanbul derby

Iraq pays first war reparations to Kuwait since 2014

Fiery kites adopted as new tactic by Gaza protesters

Romanian president slams plan to move Israel embassy

Western strikes on Syria bring no change whatsoever

Trump criticises OPEC for high oil prices

Syria says rebels south of capital surrender

Market has capacity to absorb higher oil prices: Saudi minister

Putin 'ready' for Trump summit

Saudi Arabia to host first public film screening

HRW criticises Lebanon for evicting Syria refugees

Saudi says intercepted ballistic missile from Yemen

Russia mulls supplying S-300 missile systems to Syria

Bashir fires Sudan foreign minister

Washington: Assad still has 'limited' chemical capability

European MPs urge US not to scrap Iran deal

Oil price soars to highest level in years

Two more pro-Kurdish MPs stripped of Turkey seats

Oil theft 'costing Libya over $750 million annually'

Turkey's snap polls: bold gambit or checkmate for Erdogan?

Iran arrests senior official over public concert

Bahrain sentences 24 to jail, strips citizenship

UN experts urge Iran to cancel Kurd's death sentence

Moderate quake strikes near Iran nuclear power plant

Syria regime forces caught in surprise IS attack

Turkey sentences 18 to life for killing ‘hero’ coup soldier

Exxon faces setback in Iraq as oil and water mix

Libya to clamp down on fuel smuggling

Yemen to arrest colonel for overlooking African migrant rape

Erdogan sends Turkey to snap polls on June 24

Qatar joins Gulf military exercise in apparent compromise

Saudi-Russia oil alliance likely to undercut OPEC

UN in security talks with Syria on chemical probe

Riyadh says two al Qaeda militants killed in Yemen